Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Yat Lok - My new personal favourite

When I visit Hong Kong with family or friends who want to try the famed roast goose, I often bring them to Yung Kee. For the more budget-conscious, I sometimes suggest Sham Tseng Chan Kee.

Move away, those two. I have found my new favourite place for roast meat - Yat Lok Restaurant!

 
A few years ago, Yat Lok was mentioned in the Michelin guide in the Bibs Gourmands category (for restaurants that are the Michelin inspectors' favourites for quality cooking with good value). Since then, they have become very popular.


I can totally see why. On my first visit, I ordered the roast goose drumstick and char siew (barbecued pork) with rice (HK$95). I was blown away with how tasty both types of meat were. The roast goose skin was crispy while the meat was tender. The char siew had the right combination of fatty and lean meat and was so, so good.


In fact, I enjoyed the meal so much that I returned to Yat Lok the next day. This time round, I ordered roast goose breast meat with char siew (HK$49). To my delight, the breast meat was just as tender.

I am sold. Yat Lok will now be my go-to place for roast meat whenever I'm in Hong Kong. Well, until I find an even better roast shop!

* * * * * * * * * *

Yat Lok Restaurant (一樂燒鵝)
http://www.openrice.com/english/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=78351
Add: G/F, 34-38 Stanley Street, Central
中環士丹利街34-38號地下
Tel: 2524 3882
Open: Mon-Fri, 7.30am-9am / Sat-Sun, 9am-5.30pm

2 comments:

Julie O'Neill said...

Hi I've stumbled on your blog while searching for someplace interesting to try roast goose in HK tonight as I've been getting mixed views of the well known tourist spots. Yat Lok sounds good so I will give it a try. I'm enjoying exploring your blog as I've fallen in love with Chinese food and write a blog myself :-)

Suzan Baker said...

The roost look juicy and lovely. I hope it tastes like this too.
compare airport parking
meet and greet Luton